Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Finished: Agnes

There is nothing quite like the bitter pill of finishing a beautiful knitted item, only to realize the fit is... wrong.  This happened to me when I bound off my last Agnes sleeve a few days ago.  I had been sorta trying it on while knitting, but I just kept thinking the alpaca blend would stretch with a harsh blocking.  Come to find out, I was wrong.  The length from the neck to the armhole is just a tad too short and it pulls in an incredibly awkward way.  I mean, it went over my head, and I guess, I should call it a success in that regard, but I knew we weren't destined for each other.  Luckily, it perfectly fit my dear friend Bailey, who is beyond knit worthy and who I know will keep her forever.


In related news, I have officially knit over 100 items in my knitting history.  It is true that I passed the milestone a while back, there are undocumented FO's in my mental history, that never made it to Ravelry but today I marked the "official" 100th item with the addition of my soon-to-be Rikke Hat.  It is hard to fathom how many skeins of yarn have actually passed through my hands throughout my knitting life. From my very first visit to my LYS, to visiting stores across the US, to the feeling of delight when the Webs newsletter arrives with summer sale info... I feel like this is me.  This knitting thing, is something that will last with me forever.  It is hard to explain to non-knitters, but I can remember every feeling I ever had when I knit something.  To the stress I felt when I bound off Agnes, to the glee I felt when I finished my Lady Eleanor (the epic snowstorm of that year was finally over), to the realization that "hey, I can really do this!" when I 3 needle bound off my Imogen.  I occasionally come across remnants of my former knitting self, the person who would pick up yarn at the craft store in hopes that one day I would finally arrive...
Well, yarn, I have made it.


1 comment: